Revealed: How Norwich voted in the European Union referendum by ward
- Credit: Steve Adams
The Nelson ward in Norwich was the most strongly remain part of the city with almost four in five people voting to stay in the European Union.
Figures released today - which show a ward-by-ward breakdown of how people voted in Norwich - also reveal that 60pc of people in the wards in Clive Lewis' Norwich South constituency voted to remain. He has indicated he could vote against a bill giving the prime minister the power to start the process of leaving the European Union. The only ward in his constituency which is not part of the Norwich City Council area, for which figures are available, is New Costessey.
The four wards in the Norwich City Council area which are in Norwich North MP Chloe Smith's constituency (Catton Grove, Crome, Mile Cross and Sewell) voted by 51pc to leave the European Union. She returned from maternity leave last week to vote for the Brexit bill. Figures for how the rest of her constituency voted in the Broadland District Council area are not available. But the Broadland local authority area as a whole backed a vote to leave by 54.4pc,
The figures also show that five out of the 13 Norwich City Council wards backed a vote to leave.
Bowthorpe, Catton Grove, Crome, Lakenham and Mile Cross all have a majority of people who wanted to leave the European Union.
The figures were obtained by the BBC. The data team has only published figures in Norwich. Local authority areas in Norfolk and Suffolk are not available.
You may also want to watch:
Ward-by-ward breakdown for the Norwich City Council area
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
Bowthorpe LEAVE 53pc
Catton Grove LEAVE 55pc
Crome LEAVE 60pc
Eaton REMAIN 60pc
Lakenham LEAVE 53pc
Mancroft REMAIN 58pc
Mile Cross LEAVE 51pc
Nelson REMAIN 78pc
Sewell REMAIN 60pc
Thorpe Hamlet REMAIN 65pc
Town Close REMAIN 69pc
University REMAIN 56pc
Wensum REMAIN 51pc