Rethink over temporary Norwich speed limits around £178.5m route
- Credit: Archant © 2004
Criticism of temporary speed limits on roads along the route of the £178.5m Norwich Northern Distributor Road has led to a review of their use.
Preparatory work, paving the way for the start of full-blown construction of the 12.5 mile road, is under way at a number of points along the route.
But that has led to temporary 30mph speed limits being put in place, which have been the target of criticism from some drivers.
They have questioned why the temporary limits are needed when, at times, there has been no work going on and no construction workers on site.
There was also criticism of Norfolk Constabilary's use of mobile speed cameras close to the temporary limit zone on the A140 near Norwich International Airport. And Norfolk County Council says, having listened to the criticism, it would have a rethink over whether the length of the temporary speed limits could ne reduced on the A140, A1067, B1150 and B1151 roads.
You may also want to watch:
John Birchall, spokesman for Norfolk County Council said: 'We are going to review the length of these on some busier roads to see if we can reduce them in length.
'They have been set up to link with any existing limits, such as the 40mph coming out of Norwich, so there isn't a change from 40 to 60 to 30.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 8 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 9 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 10 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
'But we are having a rethink because people clearly think it's not reasonable, and that leads to the limits being ignored.'
The road, which will stretch from the A47 at Postwick to the A1067 Fakenham Road, is due to open 2018.
What do you think of the NDR and about the temporary speed limits? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor. Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE or email eveningnews email@example.com