Mum’s horror after finding giant dead rats in new council home
- Credit: Charli Denton
A single mother was given a shock when she discovered dead rats 'the size of a TV remote' in her council flat.
Charli Denton, 18, signed her tenancy agreement for a two-bedroom flat in Bullard Road, Norwich, on June 24.
She was assured by Norwich City Council that the flat had been treated for rats and that it would be clean by the time she moved in with her one-year-old son Caleb.
As it was her first home away from her parents, Miss Denton wanted to decorate the flat before settling in with her toddler.
But whilst decorating the kitchen, she discovered heaps of rat droppings spread across the top of the cupboards and mounds of rubbish forming a rat's nest beneath the units.
You may also want to watch:
"There was a 2cm layer of rat droppings under my bath as well," she said. "The kitchen units were scratched and had been chewed on and smelt really bad."
The council sent contractor Norse to clean the mess, but on further inspection on July 6 Miss Denton was horrified to find two "massive" dead rats beneath her kitchen cupboards.
- 1 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 2 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 3 Inside the police operation that has led to 3000 arrests in Norfolk
- 4 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 5 The Norfolk waterway that is too rude for Facebook
- 6 A47 blocked by crash near Norwich
- 7 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 8 Volunteers wanted - to be locked up in a Norfolk police cell
- 9 End of an era as hardware store closes after 60 years
- 10 'A kick in the teeth' - Sainsbury's staff angry at Boxing Day 'gift'
She described both as being as long as a TV remote - one was a skeleton with sharp pointed teeth while the other still had its fur and bulging eyes.
"I felt so sick, they were massive," she said. "I was really upset."
In response, the council said the property had been treated for rats but a more thorough clean had now been carried out since the discovery of the dead rodents.
Miss Denton is staying with her parents in Hunter Road while the council replaces the bath and kitchen units.
She said: "A part of me regrets taking the flat, it's been more hassle than it's worth.
"I was so excited to start a new independent life but this has put a downer on the whole thing."
A council spokesman said: "This property was treated for a rat problem while it was empty, but needed more in-depth work which has now been completed by Norwich Norse.
"We're sorry that Charlie's tenancy got off to a bad start so, as well as replacing the bath and kitchen units, we are not charging her rent for the weeks affected."