Rallying cry for businesses to heap pressure on government to fully dual the A47
- Credit: Archant
A rallying cry has been issued to almost 200 businesses in Norfolk for them to lend crucial support for the campaign to get the A47 fully dualled.
The 'Just Dual It!' campaign, spearheaded by the Eastern Daily Press, Norfolk County Council and Norfolk Chamber of Commerce, aims to put pressure on the government to commit to further improvements.
Just 47pc of the A47 is dual carriageway and, while £300m of improvements are in the pipeline, only eight further miles will be dualled.
The campaign aims to put full dualling, which would cost an estimated £1.4bn, at the forefront of government thinking.
Our readers helped by filling in postcards, but the support of businesses will be crucial in convincing the government about the merits of dualling.
You may also want to watch:
A letter, signed by Chris Sargisson, chief executive of Norfolk Chamber of Commerce, Martin Wilby, chairman of Norfolk County Council's environment, development and transport committee and David Powles, editor of the Eastern Daily Press and the Norwich Evening News, has been sent to 180 businesses along the A47.
Businesses are urged to return a form outlining the benefits of dualling by Friday, July 6.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 4 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 5 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 6 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 7 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 8 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
Nova Fairbank, from the Norfolk Chamber of Commerce, said: 'It is vital for our county's economic growth that we can clearly show that Norfolk is 'open for business' - which makes it more important than ever that the A47 is fully dualled.
'We are now calling on a wide range of businesses across Norfolk: from Great Yarmouth, to Dereham, to King's Lynn and beyond, to show their support for our Just Dual It! Campaign.'
Mr Wilby said: 'We know business support and the economic case for getting the whole of the A47 dualled is something that will make the government sit up and take notice – they, understandably, want to know what they would get for their investment.
'So we really need our businesses to back us on this, to show how much difference a fully dualled A47 could make to them and the county's economy as a whole.'
Mr Powles said: 'Our readers have shown their support for the campaign and we really need the help of businesses to hammer home the message that dualling is absolutely crucial.'