Plans to lobby parliament ahead of review into rules which saw bins on the Broads lost
- Credit: citizenside.com
Broads chiefs plan to lobby the government ahead of a review into regulations which triggered cuts in bins on the waterways.
In 2012, a change in law –which reclassified rubbish from hire boats from residential to commercial – saw local policies on collecting Broads waste shift, with certain district councils removing services. Over the last year, concerns that tourists would be put off by the dwindling facilities have mounted, with boaters sharing images of overflowing bins.
Until recently, discussions over who should foot the bill had largely reached a stalemate – with district councils saying they were unable to afford the cost and the Broads Authority maintaining it is not responsible for collecting waste on land it does not own.
But at a meeting last week, the authority's navigation committee heard that a forum in July had proven fruitful – with parties agreeing to lobby the government to reconsider the wording when the regulations come up for review in 2017.
Chief executive John Packman said: 'This was a set of changes which had unintended consequences. We believe, working with the other councils, working with our MPs, we should jointly go to Defra to put pressure on the government to amend the legislation.'
You may also want to watch:
MPs for both north Norfolk, Norman Lamb, and Great Yarmouth, Brandon Lewis, have previously said they would support a decision to lobby Defra.
Mr Packman also said a solution to secure bins for next year's tourism season was near.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 Hamleys toy shop opens in Norwich shopping centre
- 10 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
'I'm pleased to say that after a long summer of not making very much progress, it does now appear that a potential way forward is emerging,' he said.
As reported earlier this week, the authority hopes three under-threat facilities in north Norfolk – Ludham, Womack staithe and Horning – will be secured by the end of the month, while a solution to safeguard further bins in 2017 could be reached by the end of the year.
North Norfolk district councillor Paul Rice, who has been involved in the issue since it began, supported the decision to go to the top.
He said: 'The desire should be and surely is for all parties to rapidly work together to resolve the waste problem... We should collectively approach the ministry to revise the very act that created the issue in the first place.'
• Do you have a Broads story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org