Petition to save derelict Thetford hospital gains 1,600 signatures
- Credit: Archant
The future of a derelict hospital is looking brighter after 1,600 people signed a petition to see it reopened.
Once a bustling town hub, the Cottage Hospital in Thetford has sat empty for a decade.
But town councillor Mike Brindle is pushing Breckland Council to bring the Earl Street facility back into use.
After passing a minimum requirement of 1,500 signatures to be presented to the district council, the petition will be debated by councillors in January.
Labour councillor Mr Brindle said: 'The fact we reached our target so quickly just shows the massive strength of feeling in Thetford about this issue.
You may also want to watch:
'Thanks to everyone who shared the petition online which has produced so many signatures. Thanks also to lunch clubs, residents' groups and community centres for all the signatures on the paper version.
'Many residents have told me how much they like and value this building and want to see it converted into something useful.'
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 3 Hundreds give amazing send-off to well-loved supermarket worker
- 4 Former Norwich boxing champion banned from contacting ex-partner
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 6 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion
- 7 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Air ambulance called to person's aid in Dereham
- 10 GP warns surgery 'is at breaking point' due to village expansion
Resident Jane Burke said: 'I think it is disgusting the way it has been left. It should have been made into a surgery or something useful but it has just been abandoned.'
After closing in 2006, the hospital was sold by the NHS to a private owner in 2010.
You can sign the online petition at www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/thetfordcottagehospital