‘Patronised’ Norwich MP Chloe Smith gets apology
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith has received an apology from a Labour MP who made a patronising comment about her age during her ministerial debut at the Commons despatch box.
At 29, newly-appointed economic secretary Miss Smith is the youngest minister in the government and a question from Slough Labour MP Fiona Mactaggart made reference to that.
Addressing Miss Smith yesterday (Tuesday), Ms Mactaggart said: 'With women's unemployment and the RPI at a higher level since the Chancellor left university - which is probably when you left primary school - is it not time that this government delivers for women on employment, and can I suggest support for women and delivering on promises before the election for 3,000 more midwives?'
But Ms Mactaggart today (Wednesday) apologised for her patronising comments, saying: 'I have always tried to support women in politics.
'Even when they are on the wrong side I know that for women the path to parliament is rarely easy and almost all have had to face patronising and sexist remarks, many have experienced worse.
You may also want to watch:
'So when at treasury questions this week I patronised a new Conservative minister, I felt ashamed of myself.'
Miss Smith said she had not expected such outright rudeness on her despatch box debut, but said she accepted the apology.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 3 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 4 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 7 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 8 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 9 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 10 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m