New parking permit charges and zone to be discussed by city council committee
- Credit: Archant © 2008
City-dwellers making use of permit zones may soon face a greater cost to park outside their homes.
Council bosses at City Hall have recommended an increase in the price of permit parking for residents living in the city area by £3 per year.
The increase, which will see an extra 25p added to the monthly cost of permits, is estimated to raise in the region of £45,000 for the council.
This amount, officers say, is required to cover the overheads of running the council's permit scheme.
A report going in front of the city council's highways committee next week says: 'Charges for permits are expected to cover the full costs of operating, maintaining and altering the permit parking schemes, and although the situation has improved since the last review [in 2016] there is still some way to go to fully recover costs.
You may also want to watch:
'In the event that any surplus is made, this will be used to support other transport projects in Norwich.'
The proposed new annual charges for permits are as follows:
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
Short vehicles (under 3.92m) blue badge holders and visitor permits: £24.60 (currently £21.60)
Medium vehicles (between 3.92m and 4.45m): £37.80 (currently £34.20)
Long vehicles (longer than 4.45m): £53.40 (currently £49.80)
Meanwhile, a number of roads in the Lakenham area could be in line for new permit zones, which will limit daytime parking in the area. Earlier in the year, the council held a consultation into the parking situation of several roads in the area, with the view of bringing in new regulations.
A separate report to the same committee provides the results of this consultation, including recommendations for new zones.
The following stretches of roads have been recommended for permit parking between 8am and 6.30pm, Monday to Saturday.
Hall Road (sections of)
Other roads were also considered, including Beeching Close, Coke Road and Springbank, but were not recommended.
Members of the highways committee will discuss reports on both the new fees and the new permit zones on Thursday, September 20.