Opening date for Norwich’s Five Guys restaurant revealed
- Credit: Archant
American burger chain Five Guys has announced it will be opening its Norwich restaurant in October, after securing planning permission.
Officers at Norwich City Council have given the go-ahead for alterations to the former Pizza Hut in the city centre, after controversial plans for tables and chairs outside it were dropped.
And bosses at Five Guys say they are now on track to open a 120-seater restaurant, spread over two floors in the Orford Place building, on October 17. They said 35 jobs will be created by the new restaurant.
The city council's own transport officer had objected to the proposals, because the plans included four outdoor tables and 16 chairs, Civic watchdog The Norwich Society had also objected.
Kieran Yates, transport planner at City Hall, stated, in his objection to the seating: 'My concern about the tables and chairs is that the high level of footfall and narrowing of the footway will lead to unacceptable congestion and some pedestrians may step into the road to get past.
You may also want to watch:
'The restaurant chain is currently highly fashionable and is likely to result in queuing on the footway, the application plans includes reference to an internal queue area but this may not be sufficient at popular times.' The objections meant the application would have had to come before councillors for a decision.
But, after Five Guys decided to abandon the plans for chairs and table, officers at City Hall used their delegated powers to grant permission. The proposal will now not need to come before councillors.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 7 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 8 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 9 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
Founded in the United States, Five Guys has built up a cult following for its burgers with unlimited toppings, hand-cut fries and a large variety of milkshake flavours.