Opening date for Norwich’s Five Guys restaurant revealed
- Credit: Archant
American burger chain Five Guys has announced it will be opening its Norwich restaurant in October, after securing planning permission.
Officers at Norwich City Council have given the go-ahead for alterations to the former Pizza Hut in the city centre, after controversial plans for tables and chairs outside it were dropped.
And bosses at Five Guys say they are now on track to open a 120-seater restaurant, spread over two floors in the Orford Place building, on October 17. They said 35 jobs will be created by the new restaurant.
The city council's own transport officer had objected to the proposals, because the plans included four outdoor tables and 16 chairs, Civic watchdog The Norwich Society had also objected.
Kieran Yates, transport planner at City Hall, stated, in his objection to the seating: 'My concern about the tables and chairs is that the high level of footfall and narrowing of the footway will lead to unacceptable congestion and some pedestrians may step into the road to get past.
You may also want to watch:
'The restaurant chain is currently highly fashionable and is likely to result in queuing on the footway, the application plans includes reference to an internal queue area but this may not be sufficient at popular times.' The objections meant the application would have had to come before councillors for a decision.
But, after Five Guys decided to abandon the plans for chairs and table, officers at City Hall used their delegated powers to grant permission. The proposal will now not need to come before councillors.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
Founded in the United States, Five Guys has built up a cult following for its burgers with unlimited toppings, hand-cut fries and a large variety of milkshake flavours.