Norwich MP elevated to Labour front bench climate change role after five months in Westminster
- Credit: Archant
Clive Lewis will join Labour's front bench as an energy and climate change shadow minister.
The Norwich MP, who was a key part of new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn's campaign team, has been rewarded with the senior post.
He was tipped for a more senior shadow cabinet post in the wake of the left-winger's overwhelming victory, but said at the weekend it would have been arrogant to think he could do a shadow cabinet job to the standard required after such a short time.
In his new role he will be in charge of holding the Government to account over its policy on electricity and gas markets, new energy infrastructure, energy security, oil and gas policy, including shale gas,
His brief also includes responsibility for the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority and Geological Disposal Facility, new nuclear, carbon capture and storage (CCS) and renewables, nuclear safety and regulation, along with international energy.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'It is a great honour to be given this responsibility so early in my parliamentary career.
'Meeting our energy needs in a secure and sustainable way is vital for the environment and in our battle to combat climate change. It is also a huge opportunity for jobs and growth in Norwich and the surrounding area. We have the expertise to be a centre of excellence in the field, we just need the political will to make it happen, something that has been sadly lacking form the Tories.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
'The Tories once promised they would be the greenest Government ever, but their actions paint a very different picture. Over the next few months and years, I will put tackling climate change at the heart of my new role.'