North Norfolk District Council unites to support Cromer Crab Company
Political differences were temporarily cast aside in North Norfolk District Council's (NNDC) chamber tonight when members united to support 230 jobs at the threatened Cromer Crab Company.
A sea of hands went up as councillors across the party divide voted unanimously for a motion registering dismay at the risk to the Holt Road factory's future, recognising its importance to the district, and supporting both the Claws Off campaign launched by the North Norfolk News, and NNDC's efforts to keep the business in Cromer.
Last month factory owners Young's Seafood announced a 90-day consultation over its future which could see shellfish processing possibly moving to Grimsby.
Proposing tonight's motion, Tom FitzPatrick said it was a sign of the importance of the issue that all three main political parties had campaigned together in Cromer town centre on Saturday, alongside the North Norfolk News and North Norfolk Radio.
The council has begun working with the Marine Management Organisation to make sure that if Young's decide to move out of the town, all measures are taken to safeguard the 'iconic status' of the name Cromer Crab, giving it the same protection as products like Melton Mowbray pork pies.
You may also want to watch:
Mr FitzPatrick said talks between Young's and NNDC to date had been encouragingly open and honest as they explored all options. He had been told that Cromer crabs were not uneconomic but the market for warm-water prawns, imported and also processed at the factory, was in decline. A further meeting is planned next week.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 7 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train