Norfolk MP given advisor role
A Norfolk MP has been appointed as the government's advisor on life sciences and will lead a drive to develop economic growth in the sector.
Life sciences include medical technology and the pharmaceutical industry on one side and also agricultural and food science on the other.
Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman, who used to work in the pharmaceutical industry, was appointed to the position based at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills in the wake of the government reshuffle.
He said: 'The key point is that to get out of this crisis we are in, we need to sell things that the world needs; particularly to the world's fastest growing economies outside the Eurozone.
'Our life sciences sector has a key role to play in unlocking a viable economic future for Britain.'
You may also want to watch:
His appointment is good news for the Norwich Research Park, underlining a government commitment to the life sciences research carried out there that has already attracted �90m of state funding earlier this year.
Meanwhile the reshuffle also saw other Norfolk MPs given ministerial jobs, including Norwich North MP Chloe Smith, North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb, Yarmouth MP Brandon Lewis and South West Norfolk MP Liz Truss.
- 1 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 2 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 3 Man dies after 'medical incident' on Yarmouth seafront
- 4 Popular GP bids farewell to patients with emotional letter after 33 years in Beccles
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Birds of prey found shot and poisoned during raid in Norfolk
- 7 Plastic fork firm redundancies blamed on supermarket ‘greenwashing’
- 8 Man struck repeatedly on head with motorcylcle helmet in Norfolk attack
- 9 Closures near A11 roundabout after crash involving motorcycle and van
- 10 Home baker opens first shop after business 'snowballed' in lockdown
Meanwhile Suffolk West MP Matt Hancock and Central Suffolk MP Dan Poulter also scored ministerial positions.