Norfolk County Council budget cuts to be decided today
Controversial plans to cut nearly �60m from county council services and axe the equivalent of 750 full-time jobs will be decided at a Norfolk County Council meeting today.
Opponents to the plans came forward with alternative 11th hour proposals, but the controlling Conservative are likely to ensure the plans are given the green light at the full-council meeting at County Hall at 10am.
The lobby group Norfolk Coalition Against the Cuts are holding demonstrations outside Norfolk County Hall today as part of a protest at cuts in jobs and services.
The plans follow a 'Big Conversation' with residents across the county, which saw the cabinet row back from controversial proposals to tighten up the eligibility criteria for older people to access care, as well as rethinking plans to scrap a subsidy for post-16 transport for college students, following overwhelming opposition.
The authority also wants to use around �10m of government cash earmarked for social care to stave off some of those cuts and create a �5m prevention fund.
You may also want to watch:
But opponents are unhappy about the cuts which are still planned, particularly the scrapping of the youth service, the redesign of day services, and the closure of the Unthank Family Centre in Norwich.
Norfolk County Council's ruling cabinet recommended the budget plans which include a series of cuts across all departments and job losses.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 6 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 7 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 8 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 9 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 10 Family's tribute to much loved motorcyclist, 21, involved in A10 crash
• Log on to www.edp24.co.uk to follow updates throughout the day.