New estate approved for Poringland amid worries over affordable housing and flood risks

Aerial view of a street in Norwich.
Picture: James Bass

Aerial view of a street in Norwich. Picture: James Bass - Credit: Eastern Daily Press � 2005

A plan to build 120 new homes in Poringland has narrowly been approved, despite concerns over flood risks and its affordable housing provision.

The estate, to the north of Stoke Road, will be the second phase of a development of 150 homes which are already under construction further to the north of the 5.4-hectare site.

Members of South Norfolk Council's development management committee approved the plan by a vote of five to four at a meeting at the council's Long Stratton headquarters today (Wednesday, March 1).

David Wilson Homes plans to build the new estate, which includes 38 affordable homes clustered on two different parts of the site.

However, these, especially a row of affordable homes along the southern border of the site, backing onto properties along Stoke Road, were criticised as being out-of-character and inappropriate.


You may also want to watch:


The first phase of the estate had suffered flooding on the past, and this was blamed on poor drainage provision.

A representative from the developer admitted that mistakes had been made on the first phase of the site, and offered to involve a project management officer for drainage so that this was not repeated on the second phase.

Most Read

But David Gooderham, a member of Poringland Parish Council, said: 'The developer has failed to learn lessons from phase one. The high ground water levels in Poringland have been repeatedly ignored.'

On the affordable housing, he said: 'They simply do not fit in with the rest of the neighbourhood.'

Lisa Neal, committee member and councillor for Poringland and the Framlingham, said she was not able to support the application.

She said: 'My main issue is the effect on the neighbouring residents. I have major concerns about the siting of the affordable housing.

'It is totally out-of-scale to the existing bungalows and will result in an intruding and intimidating mass on the existing residents'.

Councillor John Overton, from the same ward although not a committee member, also criticised the plan's risk of flooding, its affordable housing and site levels.

What do you think? Email reporter Stuart Anderson at stuart.anderson@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter