Nearly 700 have had say on whether Western Link of Northern Distributor Road is needed
- Credit: Norfolk County Council
Almost 700 people have had their say in a consultation exploring whether the 'missing link' to connect the Norwich Northern Distributor Road to the A47 should be pursued.
People in Norwich will next week get the chance to respond to the consultation over the Western Link in person, where they can quiz officers.
Norfolk County Council has been asking people for views on transport issues and whether improvements are needed, following the opening of the £205m NDR, now known as Broadland Northway.
The road currently ends at the A1067, but Conservative-controlled Norfolk County Council has made linking it to the A47 to the west of the city a priority.
When the NDR was at the planning stages, there were options to link it to the A47.
You may also want to watch:
But they were ruled out because of the cost of crossing the Wensum Valley, a site of special scientific interest.
However, the idea has been revived, with consultants believing a £160m viaduct could be the solution. It has not been ruled out by Natural England or the Environment Agency.
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 5 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
- 10 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
An eight week consultation was launched at the start of last month.
Martin Wilby, chairman of Norfolk County Council's environment, development and transport committee, said: 'We're running this consultation as people have been telling us consistently and for some time that there are transport problems to the west of Norwich.
'Getting the insights of people who regularly travel through this area will be of huge value when we're deciding what options are likely to be the most effective at improving people's journeys.
'I'm very grateful to the hundreds of people who have let us know what they think, but I know many more people will have a view on this.
'So if travel through this area affects you, your business or your community, please spare us 10 minutes to respond to the consultation and give us the benefit of your experience.'
People can comment at www.norfolk.gov.uk/nwl and in person at a consultation events.
They run from 10.30am until 8pm at The Forum in Norwich on Wednesday and Thursday next week, at the Costessey Centre on Monday, June 18 and at Hellesdon Parish Office on Tuesday, June 26.