Mobile phone mast signals store opening delay
- Credit: Archant
The relocation of a mobile phone mast is continuing to hold up plans to open a new supermarket in Holt, it has emerged.
Aldi was given permission by North Norfolk District Council to build on The Old Station Way site with the promise of 50 new jobs - two years ago.
Town councillors heard it was still no nearer to opening this week because a Vodafone mast was blocking the development.
However, with a new lease set to be signed this month, officials are still confident it will go ahead.
Councillor Maggie Prior, who represents Holt on both the district and town councils, said: 'In terms of progress the relocation of the Vodafone mast has delayed the project, however the final draft lease for the new site is expected to be signed during October. This will then set a new timeframe for the development.
You may also want to watch:
'I have every confidence that this project will be fulfilled, much to the delight of many of my residents in Holt and those in local villages. All the correct procedures have been followed by the developer and proper responses to any efforts to delay the plans have been made.
'There is a vital need for this store in Holt and I shall do everything possible to make sure that the huge numbers of people that have expressed their desire for Aldi, a cost-friendly and quality shopping experience, are not disappointed.
- 1 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 2 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 3 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 4 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 7 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 8 'Very high risk' paedophile who groomed 12-year-old has sentence doubled
- 9 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 10 Air ambulance attends crash on the A11
'There is a plethora of negative rumour, but I urge people to maintain their enthusiasm for the new store, while the professionals deal with any obstacles which are aimed to cause difficulties for us all.'
Questions over the delay of the store opening were raised at this month's meeting of Holt Town Council.
An Aldi spokesperson said: 'Aldi has planning consent for a new store in Holt and would like to make Aldi's award winning offer easily accessible to shoppers across the region. More details on Aldi's plans for Holt and other local towns will be available shortly'.