Second attempt to turn former MJB hotel in Norwich into shared housing
- Credit: Archant
A fresh attempt is to be made to get permission from city councillors for the conversion of a former Norwich hotel.
A bid to turn the former MJB hotel at Bristol House in Unthank Road into a housing scheme shared by 27 people was rejected in February.
Last September Ben James, the new owner of Bristol House and The Lodge, also on Unthank Road, announced he planned to invest £600,000 in each property.
While under the ownership of the MJB group, both properties had been the source of numerous complaints about drug taking and prostitution.
But Mr James said that would change, as he was looking to attract a 'different type' of clientele.
You may also want to watch:
He said the idea of a development with shared living spaces built for those wanting to rent came from London.
However, the conversion plans, which would have seen the creation of a 27-bedroom home, with a gym, cinema room and communal areas were rejected by Norwich City Council's planning committee.
- 1 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 2 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 3 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 4 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 5 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 8 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 9 Police appeal for witnesses after pedestrian struck by car on A47
- 10 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
They turned it down, by six votes to five, on the basis it did not provide high-quality amenity for the people who would live in the property.
So, the applicant has returned with a revised application for the buildings, which are locally listed and sit in the Heigham Grove Conservation Area.
That would reduce the number of people living there from 27 to 26, with a bigger communal space and improved lighting.
Officers are recommending that, this time, the application is given the go-ahead by members of the committee.
In the report, which will come before city councillors on Thursday, they state: 'The applicant has made a number of changes to the scheme in order to address the issues identified within the previous reason for refusal.
'The amendments to the scheme are considered to make a significant improvement to the quality of the living accommodation provided to future occupants.'
When the property was under the ownership of the MJB group, owned by Tony Burlingham, there were complaints from guests and neighbours about their appearance, the fact they were not staffed and about anti-social behaviour.