Migrant dies as hundreds tried to storm Channel Tunnel last night

Migrants walk on a road outside the Eurotunnel area, in Calais, northern France, Wednesday, July 29,

Migrants walk on a road outside the Eurotunnel area, in Calais, northern France, Wednesday, July 29, 2015. About 2,100 migrants tried to storm the area surrounding the Eurotunnel early Tuesday before being repelled by police, an official in the northern French port of Calais said. (AP Photo/Thibault Camus) - Credit: AP

One migrant has died after hundreds tried to enter the Channel Tunnel in Calais, operator Eurotunnel said.

Photo: (AP Photo/Thibault Camus)

Photo: (AP Photo/Thibault Camus) - Credit: AP

The latest incident comes after 2,000 migrants tried to gain entry to Eurotunnel's French terminal on Monday night, causing chaos for cross-Channel travel.

The escalating crisis prompted Prime Minister David Cameron to promise that the Government 'will do everything we can' to improve the situation.

A French spokeswoman for Eurotunnel said: 'I can confirm that one migrant died last night after 1,500 tried to storm the Eurotunnel.'

The latest death comes as Home Secretary Theresa May is due to chair a Cobra meeting about the crisis.

Home Secretary Theresa May. Photo: John Stillwell/PA Wire

Home Secretary Theresa May. Photo: John Stillwell/PA Wire - Credit: PA


You may also want to watch:


According to French media, the migrant is the eighth person to be killed in the tunnel since the start of the month, and is believed to be a Sudanese national aged in his late 20s.

It is thought that he was hit by a truck as he tried to climb over a shuttle.

Most Read

The latest death comes as Home Secretary Theresa May chairs a meeting of the Government's Cobra emergency committee about the crisis.

According to French media, the migrant is the eighth to be killed at the tunnel since the start of June, and is believed to be a Sudanese national aged in his late 20s.

Photo: Philip Toscano/PA Wire

Photo: Philip Toscano/PA Wire - Credit: PA

It is thought that he was hit by a truck as he tried to climb over a shuttle.

Mr Cameron has described the migrant crisis as 'very concerning' promising that 'we will do everything we can' to improve the situation.

Speaking during his visit to Singapore, he added that he had sympathy for holidaymakers who had their travel plans disrupted by the disturbances, but that there was no point in 'pointing fingers of blame'.

The Government has agreed an extra £7 million of funding for measures to improve security at Calais and the entrance to the Channel Tunnel.

Mrs May earlier announced the funding to step up security at the Channel Tunnel railhead in Coquelles after a meeting between government officials and their French counterparts to discuss the disruption.

Eurotunnel said the nightly breaches appeared to be too much for the Government to handle.

Mrs May said: 'We've had a very constructive meeting. The French and UK governments are working in close collaboration and co-operation on this issue which affects us both.

'We are both clear that we need to ensure we are dealing with the terrible criminal gangs, the people smugglers, who are making a profit out of the human misery of many people.'

Mrs May said French authorities had committed extra resources to security at Calais.

Asked why British taxpayers should be paying for a problem taking place on French soil, she said: 'We have juxtaposed controls at the border. We work together on dealing with this particular problem.'

The Home Secretary said she was 'very aware' of the impact of the crisis on lorry drivers, those affected by delays and the people of Kent.

The migrant crisis has escalated in recent months, with thousands displaced from countries including Eritrea, Syria and Afghanistan setting up camp near the port.

Earlier this month, Mrs May announced that a new secure zone will be created at Calais for UK-bound lorries in response to an unprecedented surge in migrants attempting to cross the Channel.

The Home Office said 1.2 miles of fencing would secure each side of the platform at Coquelles. It is being supplied from the security fencing used at a Nato summit in Newport, Wales, last year and will be in place by the end of the month.

A Home Office spokesman said France and Britain had agreed to work together on returning migrants to their countries of origin, particularly those arriving from West Africa.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter