Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman calls Donald Trump’s comments “outrageous”
- Credit: PA
Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman has branded Donald Trump's comments in an interview with The Sun newspaper as 'outrageous'.
Tweeting a link to the interview, Mr Freeman wrote: 'Outrageous. This why it was the right thing not to offer Trump a State Visit.
'The qualification for a State Visit is to behave like a Head of State.
'Of course we should host and listen to and work with President Trump, but privileges have to be earnt.'
In the interview President Trump - who is in the middle of a visit to the UK - claims prime minister Theresa May had ignored his advice by opting for a soft Brexit strategy.
You may also want to watch:
He said any attempts to maintain close ties with the EU would make a lucrative US trade deal very unlikely.
'If they do a deal like that, we would be dealing with the European Union instead of dealing with the UK, so it will probably kill the deal,' he said.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 5 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Do you recognise this man?
- 8 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 9 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 10 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
'If they do that, then their trade deal with the US will probably not be made.'