Michael Baker (UKIP) candidate profile
North Norfolk's UKIP candidate is a businessman who hopes his strong local roots will win over voters.District councillor Michael Baker, managing director of up-market department store Bakers and Larners of Holt, is keen to stress he is a north Norfolk boy through and through.
North Norfolk's UKIP candidate is a businessman who hopes his strong local roots will win over voters.
District councillor Michael Baker, managing director of up-market department store Bakers and Larners of Holt, is keen to stress he is a north Norfolk boy through and through.
Born in Cromer Hospital 63 years ago, he was educated at Sutherland House and Gresham's before heading out of the county for university.
Seven years later, after a few years in his first job, he returned to Norfolk and has been building a strong profile in the Holt area ever since.
You may also want to watch:
The father-of-two, who employs 235 people in the town, said he knew that local connection would play a big part in his performance in the election.
As a result, in his first foray into national politics - Mr Baker has been involved with the district council for 17 years - the UKIP candidate is aiming high.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 4 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 9 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 10 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
While many candidates from the smaller parties may be content to concentrate on getting 5pc of the vote in order to get their deposits back, he is hoping to be a thorn in the side of the Lib Dems and Tories, who see the north Norfolk seat as a two-horse race.
Mr Baker's short-term plan for this election is to force his way in between the front runners in order to put himself in a strong position for the next election.
And he believes the keys election issues which will help him do that will be the rebuilding of Cromer Hospital, coastal erosion and more affordable housing.