‘That is a disgrace’ - Liz Truss recalls disastrous ‘cheese’ speech
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
A Norfolk Conservative MP, who delivered a cringeworthy conference speech in 2014, has joked about her memorable performance at this year's gathering.
South West Norfolk MP Liz Truss gave a much-ridiculed speech four years ago when she was environment secretary where she claimed Britain importing two thirds of its cheese was 'a disgrace'.
But this year Ms Truss, who is now chief secretary to the Treasury, joked: 'Conference is something I look forward to every year. It's a platform for Conservatives to make the big arguments about our country's future.
'To fight the big fight on the great playing field of ideas. Or in my case, to talk about cheese. Now, I had prepared a long speech about the trends in British cheddar exports. But I'm afraid you'll all have to miss out.
'Because this year, I've been told that there's not to be any cheese chat. Conference, that's not just annoying... That is a disgrace.'
You may also want to watch:
She also told delegates at the Conservative conference in Birmingham of her 'bad cop' reputation in the Treasury.
She joked: 'After recently dealing with a request from one secretary of state, I woke up the next day to find a tarantula in my bed.
- 1 Couple turn grain store into 'James Bond' home
- 2 Man found dead in Norwich hotel
- 3 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 4 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 5 Police swoop after £400k cocaine parcel delivered to Norwich house
- 6 Local pub splashes back into action
- 7 'A nightmare' - Roadworks cause traffic chaos in North Walsham
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 Norwich pub allowed to reopen after licensing u-turn
- 10 High school pupils isolating after positive Covid-19 test
'And what I've learned from that experience is – don't mess with David Mundell.'
But Ms Truss, who said she had been advised not to make any jokes as they 'don't always go according to plan', added: 'Just to be clear, that was a joke.'
Defence secretary Gavin Williamson was known in Westminster for keeping a pet tarantula named Cronus in a glass box on his desk when he was chief whip.