MP accused of gossiping about ministers in busy restaurant
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Cabinet minister and Norfolk MP Liz Truss was overheard attacking Theresa May, according to claims on social media.
The South West Norfolk MP allegedly said the 'only person worse at managing people than David Cameron is Theresa May' and predicted that home secretary Sajid Javid could mount a bid to become the next Conservative leader.
It is believed chief secretary to the Treasury Ms Truss was chatting to a national newspaper journalist at the Royal Quarter Cafe, in Buckingham Palace gate, Westminster, on Monday in easy earshot of other diners.
And even after repeated attempts by this newspaper to get a response from Ms Truss she has failed to deny the claims.
The alleged outburst was overheard and published on Twitter by Zack Polanski, a former Green Party parliamentary candidate.
You may also want to watch:
In his transcript he alleges Ms Truss says: 'The only person worse at managing people than David Cameron is Theresa May.
'She's such a pacifist whereas I embrace the chaos. I'm a thrill seeker. I'm enjoying watching France... Macron is such a technocrat and there are consequences – worse than a lame Blair and Brown.'
- 1 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 2 'Feel the magic of Christmas and forget COVID' - hotel opens winter wonderland
- 3 Plans to turn village's last pub into house rejected
- 4 New facilities open up Norwich river for paddle boards and canoes
- 5 Magpies chair praises "Norfolk community spirit" amid continuing hardship
- 6 Five things you need to lead the way in 2020
- 7 How Norfolk coupon queen's new bargain bible could help you save
- 8 ‘It was my life’ - Lollipop lady retires after 45 years serving village school
- 9 Hunt for witnesses after 10 vandals target bike shelter
- 10 Brexit Blog: Brexit means changes to the rules on VAT – and that means more admin and confusion
And offering her candid views on her cabinet colleagues it is claimed she said: 'Jeremy Hunt is so charming. There's no consistency though. One minute he's all about the free market and the next...
'Matt Hancock is actually getting stuck into policy whereas Jeremy was all about the game playing.'
Giving her views on the next Tory leader she added: 'It's going to be Sajid or Jeremy for leader because of the AV system. The only one who could beat them with members is Boris.'
One Tory colleague said: 'Sounds like typical Liz to me. She is very forthright. I doubt it will do her much harm in the long run but she probably feels rather silly today.'
Mr Polanski said: 'I respect that people will be concerned about invasion of privacy – I respect that instinct. Ultimately though this is a public conversation of a very senior figure who says one thing on television and clearly believes differently.
'If this is 'typical Liz' then I would question Theresa May's judgement on who is in her cabinet – never mind Brexit.'