King’s Lynn and West Norfolk people know the Queen best, Norfolk MP claims as he leads tributes in parliament
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
More people in West Norfolk and King's Lynn have met the Queen than in any other part of the country, West Norfolk MP Henry Bellingham claimed as he spoke of his constituency's 'deep gratitude' to our longest serving monarch.
The Norfolk MP was one of a handful of politicians called to speak to a packed House of Commons chamber which gathered to pay tribute to Queen Elizabeth II.
He told MPs that during the course of her reign, Sandringham had been transformed from a sleepy agricultural estate to one of the most thriving and diversified estates in the country.
He also praised her involvement in the community, adding: 'Although Sandringham is very much a private retreat, the affairs of state are never too far away with the relentless stream of red boxes.
'During her two or three visits a year Her Majesty always finds time to come to a number of local events. For example in recent years she has visited local schools, museums, charitable and other voluntary groups and businesses.
Colleagues laughed as he told the Chamber that once she had talked to the MP and the mayor she was keen to meet 'real people'.
You may also want to watch:
'Probably as a result more people in King's Lynn and West Norfolk have met Her Majesty than any other part of the country. 'On behalf of my constituency and the local community I would like to put on the record my deep gratitude to her for enhancing the lives of so many people and bringing joy to so many families and long may she carry on reigning over us.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 3 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 7 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 8 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 9 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 10 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances