Critic kicked off Broads Authority in row over Thorpe Island blog
- Credit: Archant
A businessman has been kicked off the Broads Authority after an investigation into comments on his blog.
James Knight, a member of the authority's navigation committee, has been in a dispute with the body overseeing the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads over its handling of a planning row on Thorpe Island on the River Yare.
The island at Thorpe St Andrew was at the centre of a long-running legal wrangle between landowner Roger Wood and the Authority over its historic mooring rights.
The dispute eventually ended in 2017 when Mr Wood sold the island.
In spring 2017, Mr Knight, who runs Waveney River Centre, wrote a series of articles on his blog in which he said members of the Broads Authority had been 'misled' by planning officers. That led to code of conduct complaints against him.
An Authority spokesman said Mr Knight repeatedly accused their officers of 'deliberately and wilfully' misleading members.
You may also want to watch:
They added they had 'no alternative' but to remove Mr Knight after he refused to apologise.
The Authority brought in a barrister to investigate whether Mr Knight breached the code of conduct.
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 Huge village home with indoor swimming pool for sale for £1.2m
- 3 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 4 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
- 5 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 6 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 8 Could you offer one of these rescue animals a forever home?
- 9 People told to shut doors and windows after suspected gas leak
- 10 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
The barrister found in April this year the 51-year old had breached the code for 'leadership', as well as for 'equality and respect' but concluded the complaint could be resolved without a disciplinary hearing.
However, a hearing was held in September which ruled Mr Knight would be kicked off the Authority if he did not apologise and take down his posts.
He refused and on Monday he received a letter from Haydn Thirtle, the Authority chairman, stating he had been removed.
See also: What is going on at the Broads Authority?
Mr Knight said: 'For the last 16 months, the Broads Authority wasted public money on deciding whether I had breached their code of conduct by making these allegations, but refused to investigate whether what I'd said was true.
'It is the prima facie duty of members of the Broads Authority to challenge and scrutinise the advice and recommendations of the officers.
'This is all the more important in an unelected quango.'
An Authority spokesman said: 'A full investigation by an independent barrister found no evidence to support Mr Knight's serious public accusations.'