Councils announce free parking at key times to support Armistice Day and build up to Christmas
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Free car parking will be offered at key times across Waveney and Suffolk Coastal as community events are supported.
Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Councils are providing free parking at their car parks across east Suffolk on Armistice Day and in the build up to Christmas.
In a joint statement, Carol Poulter and Graham Catchpole, from Suffolk Coastal and Waveney's cabinets, said: 'We feel it is important at this time of year that the local councils play their part in actively supporting the events being staged by our communities.
'Hopefully, this gesture will be a boost to the community events being held across Suffolk Coastal and Waveney.'
With commemorative events planned across east Suffolk to mark the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Armistice, large crowds are expected to honour the sacrifices of all those in the armed forces who died during the First World War One as Armistice Day (November 11) falls on a Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Poulter and Catchpole said: 'This year is a particularly significant date, as it marks the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day.
'The councils want to support people, who want to commemorate this significant day.'
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 5 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 6 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 9 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 10 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
Last year, the councils offered three hours free parking on the Saturday and Sunday over the Armistice weekend.
This year, free parking will be offered at every car park across Suffolk Coastal and Waveney for the entire day, as there are parades and events being staged in different places throughout November 11.
The councils are also supporting shoppers and traders in the build up to Christmas, as events such as Christmas markets and Christmas lights switch-ons are held.
Suffolk Coastal and Waveney have decided to offer two-hour blocks of free parking to support businesses and community organisations, which can be used to link to specific events twice during the build up to Christmas – so this means two sessions of free parking in the four-week period before Christmas.
Town and Parish Councils can decide which days they would like to operate the two-hours free parking, and in which car park(s) across east Suffolk, by contacting Sue Keeble at Norse to express their interest via Susan.Keeble@ncsgrp.co.uk