Sir Norman Lamb ‘horrified’ by ‘astonishing’ exit poll results
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Former North Norfolk MP Sir Norman Lamb has said he is 'horrified' Boris Johnson looks set to be returned to Number 10 but also hit out at the Liberal Democrat campaign.
Speaking in the moments after the general election exit poll predicted an 86-seat Conservative majority Sir Norman said: "I am horrified by Boris Johnson I don't think he is fit to be our prime minister - I think he struggles with the truth. But they have played to people's feelings about the complete failings of parliament to sort this out."
He added: "It is quite an astonishing result. In my view this has been the worst government in living memory - achieved virtually nothing and yet they have won with a spectacular majority. I think it poses massive questions for both Labour and the Lib Dems. Corbyn is a disastrous Labour leader.
"I have been confronted by so many people of all classes who have been left completely uninspired and without any idea of how they are going to vote. People have thought 'I can't vote Corbyn I better vote Johnson'."
Sir Norman, who stood down as an MP at this election after successfully holding North Norfolk since 2001, was also critical of the Lib Dems' campaign nationally and admitted things looked bleak in his old seat.
You may also want to watch:
"I also think we fought a very poor campaign. The central message has been wrong. It is not a result that particularly surprises me."
- 1 Chance to have your say over 4,000-home development
- 2 Driver who died in A47 crash had medical episode
- 3 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 4 Plans to open McDonald's on outskirts of town in 2022
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 7 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
- 8 Farke hammers Tzolis for penalty antics in City defeat
- 9 Reader letter: How Roy Hodgson can save Norwich City
- 10 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire