Fines for litter bugs in new Thorpe St Andrew scheme
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have agreed to introduce fines of up to £80 against people who drop litter.
The decision by Thorpe St Andrew Town Council last night comes it received after multiple complaints about the amount of smashed glass and dog fouling.
Members of staff will now be able to issue Fixed Penalty Notices of up to £80 to people caught littering in the town. This would be reduced to £60 if paid within 10 days.
But town clerk Thomas Foreman stressed that the fines would only be used as last resort, instead more emphasis would be used to educate people.
Councillors were told that if someone refused to give their details after they were caught littering, staff would be able to call the police.
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Ian Mackie said: 'We are doing this to maintain our parks for some of our younger users and sports users. It is about keeping our parks clean and 99pc of people will respect that.'
- 1 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 2 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 3 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 4 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 5 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 6 Prince Philip memorial erected in town park just a day after his death
- 7 Childhood friends unite to launch barbershop together
- 8 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 9 Giant Wheel soon to be 'operational' on popular seafront
- 10 New Turkish takeaway which cooks over coals shows how kebabs should be done