Fines for litter bugs in new Thorpe St Andrew scheme
- Credit: Archant
Councillors have agreed to introduce fines of up to £80 against people who drop litter.
The decision by Thorpe St Andrew Town Council last night comes it received after multiple complaints about the amount of smashed glass and dog fouling.
Members of staff will now be able to issue Fixed Penalty Notices of up to £80 to people caught littering in the town. This would be reduced to £60 if paid within 10 days.
But town clerk Thomas Foreman stressed that the fines would only be used as last resort, instead more emphasis would be used to educate people.
Councillors were told that if someone refused to give their details after they were caught littering, staff would be able to call the police.
You may also want to watch:
Town mayor Ian Mackie said: 'We are doing this to maintain our parks for some of our younger users and sports users. It is about keeping our parks clean and 99pc of people will respect that.'
- 1 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 2 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 3 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 7 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 8 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries
- 9 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub