Town mayor officially welcomed in with civic ceremony
- Credit: Diss Town Council
The community in Diss came together to celebrate the civic ceremony of the town's mayor.
The official mayor-making of Eric Taylor took place at St Mary’s church in Diss on Sunday, September 12, with representatives from local organisations and mayors and mayoresses from six neighbourhood towns also present.
Mr Taylor said he was honoured to stand as the elected mayor of the "historic, vibrant and diverse market town of Diss", and also used the ceremony as an opportunity to raise funds for mental health charity MIND.
He said the choice of charity was "heavily influenced" by events over the last 18 months, raising £116 for the cause.
He added: “I know from my own experience how anxiety and lack of knowledge can affect the mental health and wellbeing of so many of us.
You may also want to watch:
"In my circle of friends and family, I have seen carers who have nursed end-of-life Covid sufferers - stressed out and distraught that they could do so little to ease their suffering."
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 3 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 4 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 10 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations