Elizabeth Truss backs Norfolk to become business leader as job losses loom
- Credit: EMPICS Entertainment
MP Elizabeth Truss has backed Norfolk in the face of more than 1,150 potential job losses.
The South West Norfolk MP said the region is set to become a 'leader in advanced manufacturing, technology, energy and engineering' and celebrated some of the region's most innovative firms.
Her comments come after this paper sent an open letter to the business secretary Greg Clark asking what he was doing to save jobs at risk at Colman's, Britvic, RAF Marham and the CITB.
The letter demanded reassurances about the government's efforts to protect those roles and secure Norfolk's economic future.
Elizabeth Truss MP said: 'We have incredible talent across Norfolk with unique companies like DEM Sports based in Welney; manufacturer of concertina cricket nets, the company is looking to expand around the world and already has an order book for Australia and America.
You may also want to watch:
'Another enterprising business is Foras – supplier of individually designed tiles and home accessories. What were once farm steadings in Stow Bridge have now been transformed into a show room bursting with interior and exterior design ideas.
'In Thetford, Warren Services has just undertaken significant expansion and Centurion, suppliers of protective head gear, exports their products around the world. We have four companies from South West Norfolk listed on the London Stock Exchange, Alternative Investment Market.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 Holidaymakers rescued after boat lodged under bridge
- 3 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 4 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 5 Bargain Hunt films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 6 Photo shows car inches from knocking cyclist off road
- 7 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout
- 8 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 9 Norwich City drop huge hint of global star gig at Carrow Road
- 10 Hotel's new pizza restaurant enjoys 'fantastic' first month
'All these companies are expanding and providing employment opportunities across a range of sectors in Norfolk. The government has committed £300 million to RAF Marham. There will be changes at the base in the future and I will continue to support all those involved, preparing for the arrival of the new Joint Strike Fighter aircraft.
'As the local MP for South West Norfolk I am backing infrastructure projects like Ely North rail junction that will transform rail travel on the Kings Lynn and Thetford routes. This will be a fantastic boost to tourism and the local economy. The Institute of Technology proposal for the East of England is a unique collaborative model. Working with both business and education, the IOT will establish the region as a leader in advanced manufacturing, technology, energy and engineering.'