Ed Balls takes time out of election campaigning to talk about the Canaries
- Credit: PA
Norwich City supporter Ed Balls took time out from electioneering to talk football during a visit to Teesside yesterday.
In an interview with the local newspaper's football writer ahead of the key fixture against Middlesbrough tomorrow, he spoke of his hopes for Norwich City promotion, also suggesting he would like to see the northern club join Norwich City in the top flight.
He also reminisced about previous victories for the Canaries in the interview.
'I would love to have European football back at Norwich, I am not sure it is going to happen for quite a few years,' he added.
He said that as a Norwich fan, and MP, there had to be a fan's voice in a club, adding: 'It is a good thing the Premier League is flourishing around the world, but it should not become detached.'
You may also want to watch:
He said that more needed to be done to ensure grassroots football was not left behind.
He also voiced 'personal' support for a return to safe standing. 'As a private citizen I am rather supportive of that.'
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 3 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 6 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
- 9 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
He wished the Middlesbrough football writer good luck for the rest of the season – after tomorrow – adding: 'Maybe we will see you the Premiership, that would be great.'