Decision due over new Norwich city centre restaurant, spa, cafe and hotel scheme
- Credit: Hudson Architects
New life could be breathed into a city centre building which has stood empty for more than a decade, with a decision due this week over a new restaurant, spa and boutique hotel.
Norwich city councillors will meet on Thursday to decide whether to give the green light for the new complex at the site of the former ticket office for the old Norwich bus station.
Dennis Bacon, who owns 38 St Giles Street boutique bed and breakfast, wants to build a five storey building on the former ticket office site in Surrey Street.
His proposal includes a restaurant and separate cafe on the ground floor, a day spa on the first floor, a 26 bed boutique hotel on the second and third floors and a penthouse apartment on the fourth floor.
And officers at City Hall are recommending that councillors grant permission for the scheme.
You may also want to watch:
In a report which will come before city councillors, planning officer Lara Emerson: 'The development provides a high quality landmark building on a prominent city centre brownfield site.
'The commercial uses within the building will complement the city centre retail offer on this key pedestrian route to and from the bus station.
- 1 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 2 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 3 End of an era as cafe owner hangs up apron after 26 years
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 6 Location revealed for new major music festival with '90s flavour'
- 7 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 Two 'cowardly bullies' sentenced for Christmas attack at Center Parcs
- 10 How former teacher jailed for abuse of young boys was pillar of community
'The development also provides a large city centre residential apartment in a sustainable location.
'The development has been well designed to protect the amenities of neighbouring and future occupiers.'
Mr Bacon previously said, if permission is granted, the development could open next year.
He said the development, which would create 50 jobs - 30 full-time and 20 part-time - would be a 'landmark' development.
He said when plans were first lodged: 'It just seemed to me, that, rather than try a development of apartments, I would try something different.
'I think we are reaching saturation point when it comes to student accommodation in the city centre and I wanted to create something remarkable.'
If the development does go ahead, then the cafe would be open from 7.30am until 8.30pm and the restaurant from 8am until 11.30pm.
The former ticket office, which once stood on the site was knocked down in the 2000s. It had been built in the Art Deco style in the 1930s.