Boxing legend Dave ‘Boy’ Green resigns from Fenland council
- Credit: Archant © 2004
Boxing legend Dave 'Boy' Green has resigned his seat on Fenland District Council because of ill health.
A by-election will take place on June 7 for the Birch ward, which Mr Green won three years ago, taking over from former council leader Alan Melton.
In the past year Mr Green has been poorly and unable to attend many meetings.
It is thought that Mr Green felt it was right to resign now and pave the way for a newcomer. His likely Conservative replacement is Ian Benny, a well known local businessman.
Mr Green, from Chatteris, secured two shots at the welterweight world title against Carlos Palomino and Sugar Ray Leonard, before he retired at the age of 28.
You may also want to watch:
Sugar Ray said his knock out blow was 'was perhaps the most beautiful punch' he ever threw.
Mr Green, who was also known as the Fen Tiger, went on to become a businessman and in 2011 was made an MBE for his charitable services.
- 1 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 2 Part of A47 closed after crash between pedestrian and lorry
- 3 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 4 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 5 Revealed: Coronavirus vaccine hubs in Norfolk
- 6 Never mind Santa's sleigh... how about a Christmas combine harvester?
- 7 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 8 Saver menus and pizzas - how pubs are opening under 'substantial meal' rule
- 9 'More substantial than a Scotch egg': Pub creates the 'Botched egg'
- 10 Man hit by lorry on A47 rushed to hospital with serious injuries