D-day for Tesco bid to remove sports pitch from Sheringham plans
A controversial bid by Tesco to remove its commitment to provide a new sports pitch in Sheringham will be decided on Thursday.
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC) has received 23 letters of objection to the bid to delete the planning obligation, which insists that a new facility is in place before the pitch behind Sheringham Community Centre on Cromer Road is removed.
The pledge to replace the pitch was part of the deal that will see Tesco build a supermarket on Cromer Road - and provide a replacement fire station opposite and a community centre on Holway Road.
The new centre is almost ready to be handed over - paving the way for demolition work to begin on the old fire station, Lockerbie flats and the existing community centre.
In the application to remove the playing pitch obligation, which will be heard by NNDC's development committee, Tesco said the amendment reflected the 'express requirements of the town council', which had 'made it clear that there was no longer a community need or requirement for a playing pitch'.
You may also want to watch:
There is now uncertainty about that aspect, with officers set to update members at the meeting on the latest views of Sheringham Town Council.
The report outlined a number of objections to the change, including that Tesco should be 'held to account', that sports facilities were needed in the town, that there were six youth football teams without a pitch, and that the move looked wrong in the year of the Olympics.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction