Council bosses to expand handyman help across Broadland

Broadland District Council's offices in Thorpe St Andrew

Broadland District Council's offices in Thorpe St Andrew - Credit: ECN - Archant

A handyman service for elderly and disabled people is set to be expanded over the next two to three years.

Broadland District Council uses a self-employed person to help people carry out small repairs around the house, including fixing a dripping tap, sticking down a loose piece of carpet or replacing a broken smoke alarm.

Currently people aged 65 or over in receipt of certain benefits can make use of the handyman help.

But Broadland budget plans state the scheme, listed as receiving £10,000 a year, will be reviewed, with the council confirming it intends to expand the project.

They say this will include anyone over 75, anyone of any age who is registered blind or in receipt of disability living allowance or incapacity benefit.

You may also want to watch:

In 2011/12, the handyman completed 72 jobs at a cost of £2,160 plus travel expenses, followed by 95 jobs in 2012/13 at a cost of £2,850 plus travel expenses.

A council spokeswoman told the Evening News: 'We are expecting the service to expand over the next two to three years as we have widened the eligibility criteria.

Most Read

'Help with small household repair jobs was available to anyone aged 65 and over, and in receipt of a means-tested or disability benefit, unless they were in social housing.

'Now we provide it to anyone over 75, and anyone of any age who is registered blind or in receipt of DLA [disability living allowance] or incapacity benefit.

'Labour is free, leaving the cost of materials to be met by the householder.'

Jobs taken on by the handyman are said to be those which can be completed in under two hours and are considered to be too small for tradesman but something the resident is unable to do on their own.

The council added smoke alarms or energy efficient light bulbs can be provided free of charge.

For more information or to see if you are eligible, contact Broadland's private sector housing team in writing via Thorpe Lodge, 1 Yarmouth Road, Thorpe St Andrew, NR7 0DU.

Alternatively, call 01603 430518 or email

Have you used the handyman service provided by Broadland?

What do you think? Write to Evening News Letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE, or email

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus