Completed bridge work means no closure of A47 on Norwich City versus Ipswich Town play-off weekend
- Credit: Archant
The A47 on the edge of Norwich will not have to close next weekend, after the final beams for a bridge over the road were hoisted into place.
There have been three weekend closures at Postwick while the three-span bridge was installed.
There was a risk a further closure would have to take place this weekend - coinciding with Norwich City's play-off clash against Ipswich - but the work was completed successfully over the weekend.
Tracy Jessop, assistant director (highways and transport) at Norfolk County Council, said: 'The scale of the project was huge and the team deserves great credit for how well it has gone.'
You may also want to watch:
There will still be Monday to Thursday closures from 8pm until no later than 6am for the next three weeks. Norfolk County Council said the £19m project, which will change how drivers get in and out of the city, was needed to free up land for 1,600 homes and up to 5,000 jobs.
But opponents, including the Green Party, have criticised it as an over-engineered waste of money to serve the proposed Northern Distributor Road.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 4 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 7 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 8 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 9 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
What do you think of the Postwick Hub work? Write, giving full contact details, to Letters Editor. Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich NR1 1RE.