MP ‘jokes about suicide’ in House of Commons
- Credit: Archant
Norwich MP Clive Lewis has been filmed simulating shooting himself in the mouth during a debate in the House of Commons.
The footage – which has been widely shared on social media – drew criticism online with one Twitter user saying: 'Labour MP Clive Lewis joking about suicide. 12 young men take their own life every week in the UK – the single biggest killer of men under 50. Disgusting.'
The Norwich South MP is no stranger to controversy. At last year's party conference he said to a friend at an event 'get on your knees b***h' over a live microphone which left him having to apologise.
He has previously spoken in the Commons about mental health patients in our region being failed by the government.
Social media has been left divided by the controversial footage with some people expressing their outrage and others jumping to his defence.
Mr Lewis was reacting to a Conservative MP intervening while his Labour colleague Anneliese Dodds made a speech during a debate on the Finance Bill.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lewis was contacted, but declined to comment.
- 1 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 4 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 5 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 6 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 7 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 8 Club reopens after Covid cases among staff and customers
- 9 Man drove round campsite 'like a rally driver' after argument
- 10 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs