City tops the list of Green Party targets at May’s general election
- Credit: PA
A strong local foothold and sense of itself has put Norwich top of the list of seats to win next, senior Green Party figures said as they launched their election campaign.
During the launch event in central London, leader Natalie Bennett insisted the general election would be the 'biggest, boldest campaign ever' for her party and told reporters that 90pc of voters in England and Wales would have a local Green candidate.
She said the party already had a full slate of candidates for Norfolk and Suffolk. While the candidate for Bristol West was invited to the launch to speak to national journalists, Norwich South candidate Lesley Grahame was not there.
Ms Bennett said there had not been room to include other target seat candidates on the platform, claiming the national media would not have had the patience.
'But it is clear Norwich, along with Bristol West, are our two top target seats that we are focusing on,' she said.
You may also want to watch:
She said her presence in the county over the last few months demonstrated the party's commitment to the seat.
'Norwich has been a stronghold for a long time. One of the factors about Norwich, is that it is a place with a strong sense of itself. A sense it is a community. It really cares about looking after all of its members, it environment. It has that identity that fits well with Green politics, very much that politics is the local.'
- 1 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 Revealed: Where most parking tickets have been issued in Norfolk
- 5 Controversy reignited over 300 home scheme on edge of Norwich
- 6 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 7 Key workers share 'unnecessary and frustrating' impact of panic-buying
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 10 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
Caroline Lucas, the Green Party's first MP, said Norwich was an important target for the party.
Do you have a politics story? Email email@example.com