Multiplex cinema and hotel vision for car park
- Credit: Archant
'A landmark building for the town.'
That is the aspiration of a council as a prominent site in Lowestoft is earmarked for retail and leisure development.
With more than 9,000 new homes and 5,000 new jobs proposed in the Waveney Local Plan, which looks set to be adopted on Wednesday, March 20, among the areas for potential development is the former Battery Green car park in Lowestoft.
In May last year a temporary car park opened on the site of the former multi-storey car park as 'longer term options for the future of the site' was assessed.
Back then, the 59-space car park opened in place of the demolished 550-space Battery Green car park.
You may also want to watch:
According to the Local Plan it 'offers a prime site for redevelopment for town centre uses,' with the 2.15 acres (0.87ha) site potentially accommodating retail and leisure development uses 'such as a cinema and a town centre hotel.'
It states: 'Development of this type on this site will have a significant positive impact on the vitality and viability of Lowestoft town centre.
- 1 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 2 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 3 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 4 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 6 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 7 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 8 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 9 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 10 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
'At this stage the exact mix and level of development has not been established.
'The new development should be designed to the highest possible architectural standard and create a landmark building for the town.'
In the 'Strategy for the Lowestoft Area' part of the local plan, the retail core and enhanced leisure area section states: 'Expand and enhance the retail and leisure offer including multiplex cinema and restaurants.'