Cameron: Labour has lost the mandate to govern
Shaun LowthorpeDavid Cameron has insisted that Labour has lost the mandate to govern but stopped short of saying the Conservatives should be given the keys to Downing Street.Shaun Lowthorpe
David Cameron has insisted that Labour has lost the mandate to govern but stopped short of saying the Conservatives should be given the keys to Downing Street.
Speaking at the declaration of the result at his Witney constituency Mr Cameron said he stood ready to serve the national interest.
'We have to wait for the results to come out, but I believe it's already clear that the Labour government has lost its mandate to govern our country,' Mr Cameron said. 'I will stand ready to do all that I can to bring that leadership, strong, stable and decisive government for our country.
'We do live in difficult times, but this is a great country and we will come through them and become stronger. At all times I will put the national interest first.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cameron also said that the new government would need to get to the bottom of the problems which saw hundreds of people turned away from polling stations across the country including Sheffield, Hackney, Lewisham, Newcastle, Manchester and Chester.
The Electoral Commission has also pledged a thorough investigation.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Sky broadband issues across Norfolk and Suffolk resolved
- 4 Drug dealer walks free from court for his 145th offence
- 5 Shocked couple told statue used as doorstop could be worth £1m
- 6 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 Clean-up operation begins as town 'flooded completely' by heavy rain
- 9 Watch: Woman left bleeding and bruised after e-scooter crash
- 10 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000