Call for rethink over free school bus travel cuts in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
A decision to press ahead with taking away free bus travel where pupils live within three miles of a school has been blasted as 'undemocratic' by angry county councillors.
Norfolk County Council has to provide free school transport to
children attending their catchment, or nearest appropriate, school if
they live over the qualifying distance of two miles for youngsters
aged under eight and three miles
You may also want to watch:
for children who are aged eight and
- 1 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 2 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 3 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 4 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 5 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 6 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 7 'I couldn't believe my eyes' - snorkeller finds 125-year-old shipwreck
- 8 A47 set for two weeks of roadworks from Monday
- 9 Market traders 'devastated' over council plans to revoke licences
- 10 'Very calculated predator' - how jailed abuser befriended pupils' families
But the council also has to provide free transport if the child lives within that distance, but there is not a safe route for them to walk.
The council regularly re-assesses walking routes and takes away free bus passes if changes mean the route is deemed safe.
One of the proposals under the Putting People First consultations, to help plug a £189m funding gap over the next three years, is to accelerate a programme of reviewing routes to save money.
In September, the county council voted for the policy to be reviewed and officers produced a report.
The controlling Labour/Liberal Democrat cabinet discussed it last week and decided to continue with the policy of reassessments.
But UKIP councillors Matthew Smith, Alan Grey and Colin Aldred have requested that be called in to next week's cabinet scrutiny meeting, saying they were 'disappointed with the undemocratic decision of the cabinet'.
The policy sparked particular anger in Belton and Burgh Castle, where families of children at Gorleston's Ormiston Academy who live within three miles of the school have been told they will be losing their free bus travel.
And, last year, Mick Castle, cabinet member for schools, was shown the route across fields pupils in Somerton were being expected to walk to get to Flegg High School.
Mr Castle has said it is 'extremely unlikely' the Belton and Burgh Castle decision will be reversed, given the route to school has been deemed fit for purpose, but that pupils in Somerton will keep their passes for the 'foreseeable future'.
Do you have a story about a local council? Call Dan Grimmer on 01603 772375 or email firstname.lastname@example.org