Business secretary Greg Clark to meet with Clive Lewis over job fears
- Credit: Archant
Norwich South MP Clive Lewis is to meet with business secretary Greg Clark to discuss the hundreds of jobs at risk in Norwich.
The Labour MP had previously called on government to send a delegation to the city to meet with staff and trade unions over plans by Unilever and Britvic to shed more than 300 jobs.
Speaking in the House of Commons he said: 'I am pleased that Greg Clarke has agreed to meet with me about the potential hammer blow to jobs and the local economy should Britvic and Unilver quit Norwich.
'We got here as a result of dealings made in private resulting in an 'it's our way or the highway' ultimatum to workers and our city. So I will continue to press Greg Clark to leave the sanctity of the Westminster bubble and join us here in Norwich to so we can work together to find a solution that keeps Britvic, Unilever and Colman's in our city.
'I repeat my call for the Secretary of State to send a government delegation to Norwich and for the government to treat this as seriously as the threat of job losses in the automotive industries in the North East.
You may also want to watch:
'This is a crisis for the staff of the companies and the people of our city. We must involve staff, trade unions, the companies and our city in the search for a solution.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 6 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 7 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 8 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 9 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 10 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden