Local business smashes fundraising target to help cancer patients in Norfolk and Waveney
- Credit: Archant
An East Anglian business has smashed its initial fundraising target by more than £8,000 to help a Norfolk and Waveney cancer charity.
Insurance broker, Alan Boswell Group, held a variety of charity initiatives throughout the year to raise more than £30,000 for the Big C.
Executive chairman, Alan Boswell, said: 'We couldn't have raised such a large donation without the support of our staff, our clients, our partners and the wider community.
'Cancer touches the lives of every one of us, so we're proud to have made such a large contribution to Big C's work, supporting patients and their families, and funding research into the disease.'
Last year, the group revealed that Big C would be its charity of the year and set its sights on raising £25,000. The company set every employee the challenge of raising £100 each and by the end of last year the group had broken its target, smashing through the £30,000 mark.
You may also want to watch:
Efforts saw staff take part in a range of events, including charity golf days, bike rides, marathon runs, conker championships, cake sales, dress-down days and beard shaves.
The group also worked with other organisations, including Norfolk Province of Freemasons, which donated £1,625 after running a charity car park at the group's head office during Norwich City Football Club matches.
- 1 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 2 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 3 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 4 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 5 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Former factory site to become a new church
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
To round the year off, the group made an additional donation of £10 for every one of its 300 members of staff - bringing the grand total to a huge £33,500, breaking the company's target by more than £8,000.
The Big C's director of income and communications, Clive Evans, said: 'We'd like to say a big thank you to Alan Boswell Group staff and their supporters for raising such an astonishing amount of money. Cancer affects us all in different ways, but thanks to the kindness of local people we are able to make a difference right here in Norfolk and Waveney.'
Over the course of the year the fundraisers also found out more about Big C and its work, attending laboratory tours at its research facilities at Norwich Research Park, so they could see how the funds were used.
- Have you been raising money for charity? Email reporter Donna-Louise.Bishop@archant.co.uk or ring 01603 772326.