Litcham School turns to psychology to help students aspire to GCSE success
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk school has turned to psychological methods used by top sporting stars in an effort to improve pupils' self-believe and performance.
Litcham School, near Dereham, has teamed up with a teacher, therapist and life coach to bring his course to youngsters taking their GCSEs, as well as teachers. Michael Warwick said a study of his Exam Magic programme, carried out with the University of Hertfordshire's psychology department, found it helped boost GCSE results.
Headteacher Jim Adams said, in one exercise, students were asked to envisage the results they could get in their GCSEs and write them down.
The teachers then formatted them like exam results slips, put them in envelopes, and presented them to the pupils at a mock results day event later in the term.
He said: 'They will reflect on how that felt and it will encourage them to take the actions they need to make them successful.
You may also want to watch:
'A lot of the students feel they are told they will fail, so they never try. This is trying to reverse that, in a way. It's trying to get students to think about what it is like to be successful. It's a way of getting youngsters to set themselves aspirational goals and carrying out the actions they need to achieve them.'
Mr Warwick said: 'The sessions are experiential and fun, so the learning happens naturally, rather than being something you have to work at understanding.'
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Nick Knowles joins outcry as Norfolk police told to close Twitter accounts
- 4 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 5 Part of A47 closed after concerns for woman’s welfare
- 6 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 7 Fresh calls for action over 'unacceptable' queues at A11 roundabout
- 8 Hundreds flock to see exotic birds in Yarmouth bushes
- 9 Holidaymakers rescued after boat lodged under bridge
- 10 Bargain Hunt films at Norfolk collectables shop
Do you have an education story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org