LISTEN: DJ Chris Moyles has ‘lovely, lovely’ weekend in Norfolk, despite ‘Don’t bother going to Cromer’ advice from friend
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2014
Ex-Radio One DJ Chris Moyles was advised to avoid Cromer during a visit to north Norfolk at the weekend.
But despite the advice, the current Radio X breakfast show presenter said he and his girlfriend Tiffany Austin had a 'lovely, lovely time in Norfolk'.
The couple visited Morston and Happisburgh over the two days, and he told breakfast show listeners they stayed in an 'astronomically expensive' house on the coast.
He also said how he had been bamboozled by the pronunciation of some Norfolk villages, and laughed about the length of time it took to get anywhere.
Moyles was also corrected by newsreader and presenter Dominic Byrne when he said 'Wells-next-to-the-Sea' instead of 'Wells-next-the-Sea'.
You may also want to watch:
The couple arranged to meet friends at Wells beach at 11am on Saturday.
'It doesn't take any less than 45 minutes to get anywhere in Norfolk, even if you are walking to the end of your street. I thought we were going to go to the nearest beach, which was Cromer.
- 1 The rise and fall of a beloved Norfolk wildlife park
- 2 Woman's life 'left in pieces' after being raped while unconscious
- 3 'One of life's gentlemen' - Neighbours describe killer's double life
- 4 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 5 Man in 50s dies after crash between car and bicycle
- 6 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Part of A47 reopens after earlier accident
- 9 Builder opens shepherd huts on site with unusual feature
- 10 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
'But it turned out we were going to Wells-next-the-Sea, which was 55 minutes away - 55 minutes! We weren't going to Cromer because I was told 'don't bother going to Cromer'.'
He added: 'We scrapped it and the next beach chosen was 46 minutes away.'
He said when they got to Morston they 'couldn't see the sea'. He ended up sitting in a viewpoint with a hot chocolate, watching the Leeds match on his phone.
The DJ said Norfolk village name pronunciations were confusing, saying: 'Every place is not pronounced the way it should be. If it says Shedtown they will pronounce it Sherbleadon.'
On Sunday, the couple went to Happisburgh, which he said was where 'the houses are falling into the sea', but which was 'lovely'.
Moyles said they went back to London via BT Sport presenter Jake Humphrey's house, where they had 'cake and a cup of tea'.