Lifeboat crew rescues Norwich couple whose evening boat trip off Norfolk coast went wrong
- Credit: Archant
An evening adventure for a couple from Norwich went badly wrong when their boat started to sink off the north Norfolk coast.
A lifeboat had to rescue the pair from the marshes between Wells and Stiffkey.
And the pair had to rely on the light from their mobile phone to help guide the crew of the Wells Inshore Lifeboat to them.
Peter Rainsford, from RNLI Wells, said the lifeboat was paged at just after 8.15pm on Monday night to help the pair, after they realised their boat was sinking.
He said: 'After swimming to the edge of the creek they realised that they needed help as they were cold and wet with no way of getting back to the mainland.
'Their mobile phone call was received by UK Coastguard who asked the Wells Inshore lifeboat to launch.' The lifeboat launched at just before 8.30pm and they were found in Mo Creek about half an hour later. Mr Rainsford said they helped the lifeboat find them by shining the torch on their phone.
He said: 'The lifeboat crew assisted the two casualties into the lifeboat and ferried them back to the lifeboathouse where they received medical attention from the ambulance paramedics.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 5 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 6 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 7 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 8 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 9 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
- 10 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
'Accommodation was found for them for the night in Wells.'
With the casualties safely ashore, the lifeboat was refuelled and ready for service again by 9.10pm.
Earlier this month, the Wells Inshore Lifeboat rescued a couple and their two dogs after they got cut off from the tide while walking between Wells and Stiffkey.