New Lidl could open by early 2019
- Credit: Archant
A new budget supermarket on the outskirts of Norwich, first touted two years ago, could open by the end of the year.
German chain Lidl has lodged a licensing application for a new store in Sprowston, which will sit less than 100m away from an existing Tesco Extra.
Plans for the store were originally announced by the chain in July 2016, proposing a new 27,000sq/ft store on land north of Blue Boar Lane.
However, plans lodged to Broadland District Council the following month set out an 18,000 sq ft store, including 120 parking spaces and 12 cycle stands. Vehicle access was proposed off an existing access point from the roundabout at Blue Boar Lane.
When the plans were unveiled, it was claimed the new store would create up to 40 jobs for the area, with the store also set to include an in-store bakery.
You may also want to watch:
The store's latest planning application to Broadland District Council - for its advertising signage - was approved in January.
The licensing application - if successful - would allow to store to sell alcohol, along with its non-licensable goods when it eventually opens.
- 1 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 2 Police called to troublespot Norwich hotel 324 times in two years
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 5 The best restaurant in Norfolk for a romantic date revealed
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Police search undergrowth as man arrested for murder of missing woman
- 8 Norfolk Day 2021: Your must-have guide to all events
- 9 Inquest hears sister of Hannah Witheridge died while pregnant
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
A spokesman for Lidl UK said the building work of the new store was already under way and it could open by early next year.
They said: 'Construction of our new store began earlier this year and we are due to open by the start of 2019.'
The store will be the latest in a number of new locations for the chain arriving in Norfolk.
Earlier this year, Lidl opened a new store on Aylsham Road in Mile Cross, after closing a branch 400m away - on Copenhagen Way off the same road.
It also recently opened a new £4.5m branch in the West Norfolk village of Heacham, while plans have also been approved for a new store in Common Lane North, Beccles.
The proposal for the Sprowston store was described in July 2016 as 'a multi-million pound investment' by the company, which will have opening hours of 7am until 10pm Monday to Saturday, and 10am until 4pm on Sundays.