Launch event for East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival is hailed a success
- Credit: Archant
With just over a month to go until one of the region's most colourful festivals returns, the appearance of a full-size dragon boat has caused a stir.
Organisers from the 11th East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival held a successful launch event at the Hotel Victoria in Lowestoft last Friday, April 7.
With the festival taking place on Oulton Broad on Sunday, May 14, local companies and organisations were given a unique chance to see a 30ft dragon boat and find out more about the event at an open day last week.
Easter holiday makers were invited to sit in the boat and beat the drum as Gable Events and East Coast Hospice came together to promote the festival, supported by the Lowestoft Journal and The Beach radio station, which is held next month at Nicholas Everitt Park.
Two more teams have signed up for the event – Aquaterra and Associated British Ports – making it 16 teams that have now entered at the time of going to press.
You may also want to watch:
Entries are still open to one of East Anglia's most colourful events. The team which raises the most in sponsorship monies for East Coast Hospice will not only win a trophy, but will also receive a free three course meal, courtesy of the Hotel Victoria.
A spokesman for East Coast Hospice said: 'Entries are still being accepted, whether for fun/team building, to chase the trophy for the fastest mixed team (men and women) or to get serious and take on reigning champions from the last two years, Netmatters.'
- 1 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 2 Man, 89, was killed by lorry as he headed to his parents' grave
- 3 Go-ahead for eagles to be reintroduced to Norfolk
- 4 'Absolutely horrific' - Girl, 14, kicked and punched in face in fight
- 5 Norfolk seaside village third most sought-after in UK
- 6 Former Primark store goes up for rent
- 7 1,000 people book for Norwich restaurant's 'back out to help out' offer
- 8 Ten Covid patients in Norfolk's hospitals means more restrictions should be eased
- 9 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 10 What happened when The Only Way Is Essex was filmed in Norfolk?
To take part in the dragon boat racing no previous experience is required. The boats, qualified helms and all racing equipment are provided and each crew is guaranteed a minimum of three races.
The festival promises a fantastic day for competitors and spectators alike with street entertainment, funfair rides, inflatable activities and plenty of food and drink for all the family on the bankside at Oulton Broad.
For an entry form and further details, visit www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or alternatively you can call Gable Events on 01780 470718.