Dozens of firefighters tackle blaze in derelict factory
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2020
Dozens of firefighters have been tackling a large blaze in a derelict former chicken factory in Attleborough.
A total of 14 crews - including specialist units - from around the county were called to the old former Grampian Foods site on Buckenham Road which was reported at about 6.30pm on Wednesday.
In total more than 60 firefighters tackled the “significant blaze” in the 50m by 100m building, which has seen parts of the building collapse.
Paul Seaman, incident commander, said: “We have dealt with a significant fire in a disused building.
“Firefighters have faced difficult conditions as parts of the building are in disrepair and parts of the building has collapsed.
You may also want to watch:
“We have taken a defensive action to fight the fire and some crews will remain on scene through the night. We will reassess what needs to be done in daylight.”
Mr Seaman said a hazardous materials officer had carried out investigations of the building due to asbestos and led to a cordon being put in place.
- 1 Workmen unearth six skeletons during city street overhaul
- 2 Parts of Norfolk see heavy snow falls with more to come
- 3 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 4 Man denies running Japanese restaurant from Norwich home for the third time
- 5 School forced to close for Christmas early due to Covid cases
- 6 Busy petrol station on A140 closes due to 'unforeseen circumstances'
- 7 Shocking dashcam footage shows man doing 129mph through village
- 8 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 9 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 10 Farm shop expands after huge lockdown sales boom
“The hazard is low,” said the incident commander.
“We have managed to stop the fire from beaching the hazardous area.
“The cause is unknown and that will be investigated in the morning alongside Norfolk Police.
“The initial crew did a fantastic job of dealing with the fire which was a significant fire and quickly requested eight further appliances.
Also on scene were paramedics from East of England Ambulance Service and Norfolk Police.
Earlier in the evening motorists had been asked to avoid the area.
Neighbours near the property came outside are hearing sirens and said among their worries was asbesto in the building.
One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “Our neighbour rang us and said you have eight fire engines outside your house. That was the first we knew of it.”
Another neighbour said: “I was preparing dinner and heard sirens. We’re used to hearing sirens as this is the main road from Attleborough to Diss, it’s nothing unusual”
The site has been derelict for several years and last year detailed proposals were submitted for 165 homes on the land.
Developers Matthew Homes and Aberdeen-based Raemoir Properties secured outline planning permission in 2017 despite concerns about the impact on roads and services.