Large crowd enjoys Diss Christmas lights switch-on
- Credit: Lucy Kayne
The magic of Christmas appeared in Diss on Saturday as the market town's festive illuminations were turned on in front of hundreds of people.
Families cheered as the lights were turned on in the market place at 5.30pm by comic performer Ben Langley, who is appearing in Norwich Theatre Royal pantomime Jack and the Beanstalk.
Cracking jokes before the switch-on the actor said that a Marks and Spencer store and a Poundstretcher shop would come to the town in a merger known a Stretchmarks.
Before the switch-on children screamed in delight as Father Christmas arrived and he posed for photographs as he made his way to the main stage.
He was also joined by town mayor Mike Bardwell and mascot Dinsdale the duck.
You may also want to watch:
The fun started in the town from 3pm with street entertainment, live music, food and craft stalls and children's rides.
The event was organised by Diss Town Council and involved Park Radio.
- 1 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 2 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 3 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 4 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 5 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 6 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 7 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 8 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 9 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 10 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
Photographs by Lucy Kayne.