Public rush to help drivers as two cars flip in dramatic city road collision
- Credit: Archant
Members of the public ran to the aid of drivers involved in a dramatic collision which saw two cars flip on to their sides and a busy city road closed.
Two drivers were taken to hospital after the crash on Lakenham Road on Tuesday evening.
Police, ambulance and the fire service were called to the scene.
Users at the nearby Goals five-a-side football centre described hearing a loud 'bang' while playing football.
Officers had cordoned off the area awaiting a recovery vehicle to collect the vehicles.
You may also want to watch:
At the scene, one car was overturned against a lamppost and debris from vehicles spread across the road surface.
On the opposite side, another car was badly damaged and on its side against a tree.
- 1 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 2 Hollywood actors use Norwich hair salon
- 3 Garden centre launches outdoor eating with wood-fired pizza and waffles
- 4 MPs join the call to suspend gallbladder surgeon
- 5 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 6 Norwich shop worker beaten with hammer in row over phone refund
- 7 Popular railway will 'cease to exist' as soon as this year
- 8 Tributes to high street mechanic known as a 'local legend'
- 9 Mother still 'grieving' for son who suffered life-changing brain injuries in crash
- 10 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
A police spokesman at the scene said: "Members of the public have responded and ran to it. Both drivers have been taken to hospital to be checked out. We hope the road will reopen soon, the recovery vehicle is on its way."
Three fire crews were sent to the scene at 8.41pm, including two engines from Earlham and one from Carrow.
The crews used hydraulic rescue equipment, made the scene safe and assisted the ambulance crews.